Biomimicry is defined as imitating nature’s best ideas to solve human problems. Many advances in nanotechnology and current research use nature as inspiration.
1. Understand that biomimicry is imitating nature’s best ideas to solve human problems
2. Understand that nano means really, really small. So small you cannot see it. Things behave differently when they are this small.
3. Understand that nano sized things are in many places, including in nature.
4. Understand that numerous nanotechnologies have been inspired by nature. (biomimicry)
5. Think of other things in nature that we could use as inspiration to solve a human problem.
Developed for the NISE Network with funding from the National Science Foundation under Award Numbers 0532536 and 0940143. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this product are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Foundation.